Carvel In July
by Joe Kimmel, Praveen Rewar, and Carvel Engineers — Aug 4, 2022
Christmas Carvel in July ¶
Ah, July in America1! Long days, warm nights, fireworks, barbecues, vacations, and many iconic releases from our Carvel summer collection. Let us peruse the highlights, as we make s’mores in our bonfires.
Kapp celebrated its 50th release with luminous features such as:
- default change groups and change rules for kapp-controller resources
- Output is now available in delicious yaml, just like mom used to make!
- Use –diff-changes-yaml while deploying an app to see the complete yaml after rebase rules etc,. are applied.
- unblockChanges can be used with conditions in waitRules to unblock any waiting changes
- These conditions are treated as non success/failure conditions. Helpful when you want to unblock waiting changes but would still want kapp to wait for the resource to reconcile based on other success/failure conditions.
- Improved support for cross-platform transfers of bundles
Have you ever seen an innocently wrong piece of configuration blow up a deployment? Wish that simple mistake could have been caught sooner — before a bunch of resources were snarled!?? No longer must you cower in fear that your data might be invalid! Go forth boldly, young padawan, ensuring that your data is valid with our new feature2, available starting in ytt 0.42.0.
* [Blog: Preview of ytt Validations](https://carvel.dev/blog/ytt-validations-preview/) on how to get setup with this feature. * see all available rules in the [docs](https://carvel.dev/ytt/docs/v0.42.0/lang-ref-ytt-schema/#schemavalidation).
The previously introduced “Secret Templates” are no longer secret now that they’re fully documented.
Farewell til Next Month! ¶
Wishing you smooth deployments and may the pods smile upon you!
Join the Carvel Community ¶
We are excited to hear from you and learn with you! Here are several ways you can get involved:
- Join Carvel’s slack channel, #carvel in Kubernetes workspace, and connect with over 1000+ Carvel users.
- Find us on GitHub. Suggest how we can improve the project, the docs, or share any other feedback.
- Attend our Community Meetings! Check out the Community page for full details on how to attend.
We look forward to hearing from you and hope you join us in building a strong packaging and distribution story for applications on Kubernetes!